Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Be A Christian:

One thing I see these days that is prevalent in Christianity, especially the North American variety is this ... that Christianity is mostly a club that people join. They attend the club meetings on Sundays and (sometimes) Wednesdays and the rest of the week they have little or nothing to do with the club. It is as though they don't see themselves as "being" Christians but they see themselves playing the part of a Christian.

But being a Christian IS something we are. It is our state of being. Just as I am a human being I am a Christian. Just as I am a man I am a Christian. People would look at me strangely if I behaved in ways contrary to being a human. For example, if I were invited to a friend's house for dinner, and when dinner was served if I put the plate on the floor and began to lap up my food with my tongue, I imagine I would gather some odd looks. And rightly so. That is not typical human behavior. If I, being a man, choose to start to wear dresses to work and wear eye liner and lipstick, people might think me a little odd. They would know that is not typical behavior for a man. People would think me odd because I am a human. I am a man. It is what I am.

In the same way, we are Christians. We are born again new creations through faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Our Christianity is not a club we are members of. It is what we are. So, just as it is odd when we behave like something we are not. It is odd for us as Christians to behave in none Christian ways.

We need to learn to be what we are and stop playing at it. The world will never take our faith claims seriously until we take our faith claims seriously. We say knowing Jesus is a "life changing experience." Yet we do not live like our lives have been changed.

Our lives were meant to be living epistles, God's letters to the world proclaiming his truth through us and the lives we live as we live out the truth of God's work in us. The truth of the gospel is demonstrated to the world by the lives of the people who have been affected by the gospel. Beloved reader, if this is what you SAY you are .. then let it BE what you are. Amen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home