Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Reformation Day

Tomorrow, October 31st, marks Reformation Day. It was that day in 1517 when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Thesis to the church door in the city of Wittenburg. In this act, Luther challenged the Roman Catholic Church, challenged their system of salvation and called for the Church to return to being under the authority of scripture. This single act changed history forever.

Luther's challenge split the Church. But it was the Reformers who moved forward putting every doctrine and every practice to the test of scripture. This is a challenge the Church needs to hear again today. It seems like every source of authority is heard today except scripture.

The Church once again needs to hear the words of Martin Luther and put every doctrine and every practice under the authority of scripture. Sola Scriptura ... by scripture alone ... nothing is binding on the Christian which cannot be proven by scripture.

Why? Because scripture is the word of the Living God. God speaks and it comes to us, His children, through the pages that were penned by the inspired writers. As He speaks, they write and so we receive His blessed word as the true and pure words of God. As confidence in the scripture fades the Church fades. In every place where mighty works of God are known and reported, there is a high view of the Bible. It is preached, believed, and acted on.

The Reformation was about bringing the Church under the authority of scripture. The Reformers had a motto ... "Ecclesia reformada et semper reformanda" ... which means "The Church reformed and always reforming." If we are going to see the Church continue it's reformation, we need to hear Luther's voice again. We need to see the Bible lifted up to it's rightful place in church life again. We need another "Reformation Day."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this and thought you would like this......talk to ya later and hope & pray everything is going well...

Swamp Thing

On the first day of Theology my professor gave to me atonement on an old tree.

On the second day of Theology my professor gave to me two Testaments and atonement on an old tree.

On the third day of Theology my professor gave to me three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the fourth day of Theology my professor gave to me four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the fifth day of Theology my professor gave to me five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the sixth day of Theology my professor gave to me six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the seventh day of Theology my professor gave to me seven churches in Asia, six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the eighth day of Theology my professor gave to me eight persons on the ark, seven churches in Asia, six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the ninth day of Theology my professor gave to me nine fruits of the Spirit, eight persons on the ark, seven churches in Asia, six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the tenth day of Theology my professor gave to me ten Commandments, nine fruits of the Spirit, eight persons on the ark, seven churches in Asia, six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the eleventh day of Theology my professor gave to me eleven apostles on Easter, ten Commandments, nine fruits of the Spirit, eight persons on the ark, seven churches in Asia, six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree.

On the twelfth day of Theology my professor gave to me twelve tribes of Israel, eleven apostles on Easter, ten Commandments, nine fruits of the Spirit, eight persons on the ark, seven churches in Asia, six days of creation, five points of Calvinism! Four Gospel books, three divine persons, two Testaments, and atonement on an old tree

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home