Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Worth Considering ...

"Arminians see God as doing what is best for man. Calvinists see God as doing what is best for God." (Lee Shelton, The Contemporary Calvinist blog, 2007).

I think this just about sums up the whole thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jon L. Estes said...

John,

I remember a debate on bbl.com some years ago which someone took the position God does not make anyone do anything. Yesterday, my message was from Ezekiel 36:20-38 where God's people were profaning His name so He interceded, in spite of their unwillingness to be obedient children and did what He did, not for their sake but for the sake of His name. He repeated this purpose several times.

I've always said if we just got biblical we would be reformed. We don't have to reach Calvinism against anything but simply preach the word and it will lead to it is all about God, not man.

3:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't both propositions true? God does do what is best for God, and God does what is best for man. God wills to glorify himself in man [what is best for God] by giving himself to man [what is best for man] as the summa bonum.

Has Shelton set up a false either/or dilemma in his statement?

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home