Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Just Do It ...

Let me go back and reprise a post I made when this blog first started.

One of the great hindrances to Christians living out their Christian faith is their inability to just go out and do it! Let me put it another way ...

If we are going to be made Christlike we have to go to the Scriptures. Why? Because the scriptures show us what we are supposed to be like by telling what to do and what not to do. As we grow in obedience to the scriptures, we are more and more conformed to the image of Christ.

So we spend our time going to Sunday School, and bible studies, and devotions, and watching DVDs and listening to sermons and discussing and reading and watching and learning ... ad nauseum. We will talk about an issue, read about it, discuss it, debate it, learn it, know it, we will work it until we know as much as we can about it .... but too often, we don't do it!

Friends, do you want to be a more loving Christian? Then do it. Do you want to exercise more patience? Then do it. Do you want to pray more? Then do it. The list could go on and on.

We can find thousands of ways to make excuses and rationalize away our need for being obedient to the things of God. What is a lot harder is to simply get off our duffs and do the things that we know we ought to be doing.

Remember the words of our beloved brother James who said "Be ye doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." Good words ... eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home