Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Seize the Day!

We are foolish sometimes. I think we are never so foolish as when we begin to think that we are immortal. Face it, we live like we think we will never die. Yet, the truth is that death is all around us.

A friend of mine recently was watching a video on You Tube of a church's revival services in her hometown. There were many people in the video that she knew. Yet, on the very day that she was watching the video, one of the young men in the video had a terrible car accident and was killed.

When I was a police officer in Nebraska, I remember being struck by the complexity ot human life. There were car accidents when the driver ought to have been killed and yet walked away. Other accidents seemed to be hardly worth mentioning yet the driver was killed. I am often struck by how easy it is to kill someone.

When I was a young boy living in Landover, Maryland, I had a next door neighbor who was killed while walking home from school. He was passing a construction site and an improperly supported wall was struck by a gust of wind and fell on him.

Very few people wake up in the morning and think "Today is the day I am going to die." Yet, every day that is a real possibility. Only God knows the time of our death. It could be today.

That being so, we need to live like it. That is to say that we ought to wake up every morning thanking God that He has given us today to live in. We need to be thankful for as much time as God gives us.

We need to imagine that each thing we do may be our last thing. So we need to stop wasting time on trivial things. We need to live each day enjoying the time. Enjoy every kiss, every meal, every sunrise or sunset ... as the scripture says "Whatsover things you do, do it with all your might."

Think that if you are doing the last thing you will ever do, is this the thing you want to be doing? If I am going to see God tonight, do I want Him to see me right after I have done this thing? The late Walter Martin once said "We need to live our lives as though Christ won't be back for a thousand years. But we need to live each day like we are going to see him tonight."

If that is the truth, then live each day to the fullest. Seize the day! Make it count. Today may be all you have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home