Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Monday, August 11, 2008

May It Never Be Among Christians!

This post is going to be short and to the point.

I was reading my local newspaper late last week. As I turned to the nation section I saw a headline at the top of the page. The headline announced that racism is expected to increase if Barak Obama is elected President. I gave that one a lot of thought.

Racism is to discriminate against a person or group, in any way, based on the color of the person's skin. Christian, listen to me .. may it never be named among us!

Scripture, in Revelation 5 talks about God gathering people to Himself. They come from every tongue, tribe, nation, and people. What is not mentioned there is race. There is only one race of people on the earth ... the human race. We are all descendants of Adam and Eve. We are all children of the sons of Noah. It doesn't matter what color a person's skin is, we are all related to each other. We are all of the same race.

I have a quote on a card that I keep framed on the wall of my office. It is supposed to have come from Pastor Church Swindoll. It says "All of life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it." Christian, whether Obama is our next President is in God's hands. But whether we choose to hate, or to hate black people or white people or some other people, that is up to us. We have the indwelling Holy Spirit. We are joined with every other Christian in the world. We hear the voice of God. Racism is a sin that ought never to be found in the Christian heart. "Love your neighbor as yourself" ... these are the words of our Sovereign Lord Himself. Let THIS be what we are known for.

If Obama becoming President is enough to make you start wanting to hate black people (or some other group of people) then you seriously need to spend some time on your knees before God's throne. And that is all there is to say about that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, very well put!

In a recent sermon, I mentioned how Mahatma Ghandi was once barred from a so-called Christian worship service because he wasn't white. When the love of God is in a place, that kind of nonsense must go.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

John,

Would really like to get back in touch with you. Please send me an email. I've sent one to your address already and tried leaving comments on your blog.

Wayne

5:57 PM  
Blogger John said...

Wayne,

I will do so. I am the world's best procrastinator when it comes to correspondance. I am on it.

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When My Father moved the family from Hyattsville, Md, to Ft Lauderdale, Fl, in 1954, He said we wouldn't join a Southern Baptist Church, because of their segregation stand.

he had a freed slave working with him for over 35 years in the shio. We called him ''Uncle John''. He was the kindest Negro, I ever met.

3:25 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hyattsville? I am a Maryland native. I grew up in Palmer Park until I finished the 6th grade, then moved to Laurel where I stayed until I left to join the Air Force. Small world.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home