Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Worshipping the Bible?

One of the charges I often see from "moderate" Baptists (translate that "liberal" Baptists) is that conservative Baptists worship the Bible. I have seen several posts from liberals such as Bruce Gorley, Bruce Prescott, David Flick and others, saying that Southern Baptists have made the Bible the fourth member of the Holy Trinity.

Of course the accusation is absurd on it's face. No Christian worships the Bible. Still, and let me be perfectly clear on this ... it is not possible to have too high a view of the Bible. We worship the God of the universe. The Bible is God's Holy word. We hear the Bible, we obey the Bible, we conform ourselves to the commands of the Bible. God speaks to us through the Bible. God changes us by the Spirit and the word ... the Holy Spirit and the Bible.

We love and cherish the Bible as we love and cherish the Living God. But let me tell you something. There is no danger of worshipping the Bible among our people today. People use the Bible to hold open doors, or prop up a broken table leg or as a coaster for a wet beer. The really religious people will pull it out of the trunk of their car once a week to be seen carrying it in church. but one thing they don't do with it is worship it, or love it, or cherish it.

But still, it is not possible to have too high a view of the Bible, Our problem with modern Baptists is not too high a view but rather, too low a view. We need to do better teaching a high view again. Then people will love it and cherish it again. Then they will hear God speaking through it and be changed by it. Christlikeness comes when our lives are lived in conformity to the holy word of God.

Sola scriptura was the heart cry of the Reformation. I pray to God that it would become the heart cry of Christians today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Brother Sneed,

Jesus said “the Father is worshiped in Spirit and Truth…”

My personal translation: “The Father is not worshiped by the unregenerate (those who are not born again) nor those who are ignorant of His Word.”

Those who accuse us of worshiping the Bible have little love for the truth it contains, nether do they worship the God of the Bible… How can one say they love God and love not his Word?

I am enjoying your blog!

Grace Always,

8:34 AM  
Blogger Baptist Girl said...

The bible should be cherished, it is God's instructions to us, his children. It is His Inspired Words, His instruction for righteousness.
Be assiduous in reading the Holy Scriptures. This is the fountain whence all knowledge in divinity must be derived. Therefore let not this treasure lie by you neglected..-- Jonathan Edwards

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home