Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Voice of the Martyrs taught me a new acrostic. b.a.s.i.c. It stands for "brothers and sisters in Christ." It can also mean "brothers and sisters in chains." It is a reminder that, around the world, there are Christians who suffer horribly for the testimony of Jesus Christ. Without exaggeration, there are Christians today who will have their houses burned down and be forced to relocate. They will be raped, scalped, flogged, beaten, beheaded, imprisoned, and all for the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

But in America, where we are affluent and self satisfied, we often forget those who suffer. The very idea is foreign to us. For many Americans we think we are suffering if the pastor asks us to show up for church once a week. If we feel we need to give more than a buck or two to the offering plate, we think we qualify for martyrdom. But that is not how it is in many places in the world.

As we celebrate our American freedom, we need to remember those who are in the Body of Christ who suffer for His Name. The persecuted Church is out there. You can learn more by logging onto http://www.persecution.com In your prayers this week, remember your "brothers and sisters in chains." b.a.s.i.c.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home