Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

It is worth noting that I served 20 years in the United States Air Force. When I retired, I served 2 years as a police officer. I have added to that more than 10 years as a police chaplain. It is important to note because it establishes that I know what I am talking about. I know what I am talking about when I tip my hat to those men and women who serve our nation faithful to keep us safe and free. All over the world, and many here at home, there are those unnoticed servants who serve us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, in (sometimes) life threatening conditions, in places none of us would choose to go. They serve because they love their country and they are there to back each other up. They serve and they deserve our thanks. A few years ago I was moved to write a short poem, inspired by a scene in the movie "Gettysburg." Here it is ...

Liberty's Cost

The people cheer,
The banners wave,
The flags go passing by;
Young children laugh,
While old men salute,
The soldiers we called on to die.

Important men speak,
Others just smile;
In boardrooms they toast their success;
While others called,
On battlefields fight,
We give up our young and our best.

Freedom's not free,
It comes with a price,
That we must be willing to give;
Liberty's Cost,
The blood of those,
Who die so that others may live.

So here's to you all, the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines ... the police officers, the firemen, the EMTs and other emergency responders ... here's to you all. This fourth of July, we tip our hats to you ... true American heroes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home