Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Soli Deo Gloria

Some years ago, I was at the Founder's Conference Midwest when the music leader challenged the pastors present to write hymns. I took it to heart and between Kansas City and Omaha the words and tune to this hymn came to me. A year later, the same music leader put the music with the words (I had a tune but I could only hum it) and at the last session of that latter conference, my hymn was the opening song for the day. I still have the tape of that morning session. I wanted to share this hymn with you, my readers.

Soli Deo Gloria (To God Alone Be the Glory)

Words and Music by John Sneed
Harmonization by Grant Watson


Wretched and naked, I stood in sin and shame;
Dead in my trespasses, with none but me to blame.

Chorus

Soli Deo Gloria, I sing before the throne!
Soli Deo Gloria, all glory to God alone.

Quickened by His Spirit, His word pierced through my soul.
I saw that I was helpless to save and make me whole.

Chorus

I cried out for God's mercy, He led me to a tree,
Jesus hung there broken, crucified for me.

Chorus

Jesus only savior, He cleansed me by his blood.
By grace I am converted, held steadfast by his love.

Chorus

Ok. It isn't A Mighty Fortress is our God. But it was good for a first hymn. I like it. I hope you enjoy it too. Oh .. and the tune ... If you imagine the first and last line to each verse of "The Church's One Foundation" you will have it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Pastor Jeff said...

Impressive. In all my years, I've never tried writing a hymn.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home