Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

A Milestone and a Thought

This is my 200th post. I never thought I'd make it that far. One of my best friends set this blog up for me as a way to let me express my thoughts and say a few things I thought were important. I began this trip almost two years ago. Now, I have posted 200 posts. Wow!

This milestone reminds me of something. When I started blogging I had read other blogs that had reached 200 or more posts. I thought to myself that I might like to stay on the Internet that long. But how long a person stays on the earth (how is that for a switch in focus?) is in God's hands. We are guaranteed to have what we need for today. We are not guaranteed to be here tomorrow. The minutes of a person's life are measured by God. The time of our death is in His hands. We never know, when we go out in the morning, if we will make it back that night.

James tells us that it is vanity for a man to make future plans, since the future is so unsure to us. Instead, James counsels us to say "If the Lord wills, we will do this or that thing." But if the Lord does not will, then we won't. With all that being true my friend, savor your time on the earth. Don't waste it on trivial fights and petty jealousies. Stop and smell the roses. Kiss your spouse and hug your kids. Whatever you do, as scripture says, do it with everything you have. Live life with all your strength. Serve the Lord with gladness and love God and your fellow men with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. And thank God with every day He grants you. Live today and if God gives you tomorrow, then live in that day too.

No one knows when God might call them home. He owns us and it is His right to call us home anytime He chooses. But in the time that God gives us here on the earth, be grateful and use it to good purposes. John Piper has a book called "Don't Waste Your Life" that captures this idea perfectly. Remember that, at the end of life, we will give an account of how we have lived as Christians. Today may be the last day you will be on this earth. If that turns out to be true, will you look back over your final day and think that you wasted your time, or will you look back and think "I lived it as fully and completely as I could"? For me, I'd rather it be that latter than the former. Wouldn't you?




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

200 great posts. Keep'em coming John.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home