Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

5 Contemporary Books

I confess I have learned so much from the Reformers and the Puritans. However, I am a contemporary man and I must also learn from those who live in my time. The following list of books are by authors who have been teachers to me. Of course, the list is by no means exhaustive, however, these are ones who have spoken to me deeply and in an extraordinary way. These are books I think every modern Christian (especially Baptists) ought to be familiar with.

1. Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper

2. Ashamed of the Gospel by John MacArthur

3. The Deliberate Church by Mark Dever

4. The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions by Arthur Bennett

5. Revival!: A People Saturated with God by Brian Edwards

There are other books worthy of consideration and I could not list them all. But here are a few "honorable mentions" that are worth looking over...

1. Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill

2. By His Grace and For His Glory by Tom Nettles

3. The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul

4. The Forgotten Trinity by James White

5. Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God by Henry Blackaby

6. The Hidden Smile of God by John Piper

7. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Don Whitney

8. The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur

Many other authors have taught me and shaped my Christian life over the years, for example, David Wells, Albert Mohler, Justin Taylor, Phil Johnson to name a few. But the above books are ones that stand out in my mind. Read them if you have the chance to do so. May they touch your life as they have touched mine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rev. said...

Just came across your site today. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Good list of books, friend!

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home