Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

5 Ancient Books

In my humble opinion, these are five old books that every Christian ought to be familiar with. These are not necessarily in any particular order.

1. The Confessions of St. Augustine.

2. The Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther.

3. The Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin.

4. The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen.

5. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.

A few books that are worthy of attention that did not make my top list are:

1. The Glory of Christ by John Owen.

2. The Decades by Henry Bullinger.

3. Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe.

4. The End For Which God Created the World by Jonathan Edwards.

5. All of Grace by Charles Spurgeon.

6. The City of God by Augustine.

7. The Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards.

I am sure that this list if by no means complete in so far as the great books go. I am sure other people would include some I have left off and left off some I have added. But for me, these books helped define my beliefs and shape the religion I cling to today. These are books, which to me, every Christian ought to be familiar with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rev. said...

Not sure that I could disagree with your list here. Read 'em all, and every one is supberb!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home