Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Reflections on Elections

That is, speaking of the political elections coming up in a couple of weeks. This time of year (near election time) is always interesting to me. The TV and radio ads, the print ads, the debates and the stories about each candidate's positions fascinate me. I don't have too much to say about elections, but I wanted to toss in my two cents for fun.

Our duty as Christian citizens of the United States is to pray and to vote according to our consciences. To make an informed vote, we need to be familiar with the candidates and the issues involved. We need to carefully read the initiatives on the ballots and vote with the knowledge of what we are voting for (or against).

Above all, we need to remember one important thing... we cannot change America through the ballot box. I was around for the "Contract with America" when the Moral Majority helped bring Newt Gingrinch and the Republican Party into power. I will tell you the truth, in all the time the Republicans have run things, it occurs to me that they do things a lot like the Democrats do things. They talk about the social issues that are deemed important to Christians, but we have not seen any substantial moral gains being made. Republican politicians don't seem to be any more moral than Democratic politicians. Through the Presidencies of Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush, we are still talking about the same issues we were discussing 20 years ago. We cannot look to government to make a better America.

We cannot make America a Christian nation by putting the right party into power. No, America does not need Republican leadership or Democratic leadership. If we are going to see lasting moral change in America, it must come from within the Church. Now, I mean we are going to have to get on our faces and pray and beg God for a fresh awakening of His Spirit. Then we need to get out to a lost nation and share the one life giving, life changing message of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Savior of sinners. One heart, one life at a time, we can see America become a better place. Not through politics, but through the life changing power of the word of God.

These are a few things we need to remember as we approach the voting booth in a few weeks. Some trust in Presidents, and other trust in Congress, but we will trust in the Name of the Lord our God. And for a Christian, that's the way it ought to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home