Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Christianity Most People Believe

Michael Horton, in his very excellent book Christless Christianity describes the Christian religion that is held by the vast majority of American Evangelicals. He calls it moralistic, therapeutic deism and says it can be summed up thusly:

"1. God created the world.

2. God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and most world religions.

3. The central goal in life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.

4. God does not need to be particularly involved in one's life except when needed to resolve a problem.

5. Good people go to heaven when they die."

(Christless Christianity, pg. 41.)

When I reflect on this, I think this is the belief of a lot of people I know. It is worth thinking about and comparing with Biblical Christianity.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sad yet true your post is. Most people believe in an impersonal god.

I'm glad He is a Person, who loved me in eternity past, and chose me to salvation, and gave me as a gift to Jesus Christ, Who redeemed me out of the slave market of sin by His blood.
Dr. Paul W. Foltz

5:49 PM  
Blogger John said...

Dr. Foltz,

I know my own sin and I know that if salvation were by merit and not by grace, I would have no hope at all. As Paul the Apostle says, "Thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift (Jesus Christ)."

John

8:18 AM  
Blogger Dr. Paul W. Foltz said...

john as a colored brother preacher once said, ''If it ain't by grace, nobody's a goin'''

Dr. Paul W. Foltz

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home