Ministerial Meanderings

God centered theology in a man centered world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Missouri, United States

I was born in Washington D.C. and raised in Laurel, Maryland. I served in the United States Air Force for 20 years then retired. Then God led me to become a pastor. I was converted to Christ in the summer of 1966. I enjoy the company of my wife, children and grandchildren. I live with my three cats Taz.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas

It is almost hard to believe that another year has passed behind us now. 2006 was an interesting year to say the least.

Probably the high point of the year was the chance my wife and I had to attend the annual Pastor's Retreat at MacArthur Boulevard Baptist Church in Irving, Texas. We were treated like royalty by the staff and members there and enjoyed ourselves immensely. We had a much needed rest and God used that rest to prepare us for the upcoming months.

On the other side of the coin though, a charitable deed my wife and I committed ourselves to made the leadership of our church in Minot, North Dakota decide it was best if I no longer served in the leadership there. I resigned two Sundays after returning from Texas. That led to a rough summer in which I was most unemployed. However, we sent out resumes and had high hopes in finding a new church where we could continue to serve our Blessed Savior as a shepherd to His people.

Our prayers were answered when a church in Davenport, Iowa choose to take us into their leadership. However, a month after arriving, the deacon board decided that the leadership in North Dakota was right in having me move on, and set off a chain of events that resulted in my also leaving my new church. I pastored there but 5 quick weeks.

But God is mysterious in His ways. I found myself in a new city with no job and no church. I wondered what strange providence had brought me here to this odd situation. But prolonged times of prayer and the counsel of a few close friends led me to believe God had opened a door of opportunity for a new Southern Baptist church to be planted in the center of the city of Davenport. The group is still more of a home mission church but good things are happening for us. The group that meets each week for worship is small but it is a solidly committed group.

Aleta is well, and I continue to be well after my heart surgery at this time last year. Aleta and I both endured gall bladder surgery, myself in March and Aleta in May.

Stephen and Hannah remained behind in North Dakota when I moved to Davenport. They are completing their studies there. Stephen is getting ready to begin college shortly. Hannah met a fine young man who is serving in the Air Force. They dated for some time and were engaged just before I left for Iowa. They are intending to have a wedding next summer. They want to do it in Missouri close to where my parents live.

God is good to His children and though we do not know all His ways and understand all that He does, still He is on the throne and His love towards His people is boundless. 2006 was not one of the best years I have lived through, but it had many good high points. Even in the midst of the valley, God was good to His servant.

One thing I enjoy is the beginning of a new year. Each new year is pregnant with possibilities. The past is the past, but the future is a new story waiting to be learned. Though the future is uncertain to me, God is already there. He rules over the future as surely as He rules over me today.

To all of you who may see these words, Merry Christmas. May God's richest blessing fall on your and your families at this time of year and throughout all of 2007. Remember, at this time of year, that it was for wretched, helpless, rebellious, slaves of Satan that Christ came into the world. For those who had no hope, Christ came to bring us hope. As the inspired Apostle wrote, "we love Him because He first loved us." Truly the angels sang that the coming of Christ was "good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people." Unto us was born a savior, who is Christ the Lord. As we pause to reflect on the year past, and look forward to the year to come, let us not forget the real reason why we celebrate this time of year. Truly, Jesus is the reason for the season. We celebrate the coming of the God-man, Christ Jesus into the world. Our savior, who would die a criminal's death 33 years later. But in dying, He gave life to all who believe. Enjoy the family, the fun, and the festivities, but honor and praise Christ the Lord. To you all I bid you ... Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Baptist Girl said...

Hi John,
Thankyou for sharing what has been going on in your life. You and your family are in our prayers.Apostle Paul was such an encourger. Take good care Brother.

(Phil 3:13-14) 13Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus

Cristina

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home